26 Mar Rocking Recipe: Cheese & Bacon Hot Cross Buns
Rocking Recipe: Cheese & Bacon Hot Cross Buns
Wow, Easter time is on us again and this month we break with tradition and add some cheese and bacon to the mix for those who insist that life is better with such things! Anyway for those who like to live life on the edge here you go.
Ultimate Bun Base• 1 2/3 cups (250g) strong (baker’s) flour
• ½ cup (50g)milk powder
• ¼ tsp dried yeast
• 1/3 cup (80ml) maple syrup
Hot Cross Buns
• 1 2/3 cups (250g) strong (baker’s) flour, plus extra to dust
• 1 egg
• 100g unsalted butter
• 1/3 cup (70g) store-bought caramelised onion
• 1 tbs wholegrain mustard
• 2 tbs each finely chopped sage & chives plus extra sage leaves to serve
• 200g streaky bacon rashers, 50g finely chopped, 150g left as strips
• 200g fontina cheese, coarsely grated
• ½ cup (125ml) maple syrup
1. For the base, combine all ingredients with 200ml water in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and stand in a cool, dark place for 12 hours to double in size.
2. For the buns, lightly dust a baking tray with flour. Place ultimate bun base in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add flour, egg, butter, onion, mustard, chopped sage, chives, finely chopped bacon, half the fontina and 1 tsp each salt flakes and cracked black pepper, and knead for 8 minutes or until mixture forms a ball
3. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 12 even pieces and, using the palm of your hand, roll into tight balls. Transfer to a prepared tray, spaced 5mm apart, and cover with a clean damp tea towel. Set aside for 1 hour to rise slightly
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
5. Splash a little water into the oven to create steam (this helps buns expand before forming a crust), then bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Scatter buns with remaining 100g cheese and use bacon rashers to make crosses on top, overlapping slightly. Bake for 5 minutes or until bacon is crispy.
6. Meanwhile, bring maple syrup to the boil over high heat. Keep warm. Remove buns from the oven, brush with maple syrup and set aside to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
We hope you enjoy these cheesy treats this Easter. Do yourself a favour though, please make sure they are just a small part of an otherwise healthy diet!